While a woman is pregnant her body undergoes numerous changes physically as well as physiologically and spiritually. The physical changes can cause stress and or discomfort to the mother. Massage is a wonderful way to help alleviate many of these discomforts, as well as promotes a sense of well-being.
What is pregnancy massage?
Pregnancy massage is beneficial throughout the entire nine months of the pregnancy; however, if you are having a high risk pregnancy it is best to discuss your condition with your midwife or physician before seeking a therapist. After doing so you may be able to receive massage work with a written release.
Pregnancy massage can include anything from a full body Swedish massage to light massage work that might include other modalities such as circulatory work, reflexology or cranial sacral therapy. Most massage therapists are trained not only to do massage but various other modalities as well.
Our therapists at Caring Touch Therapeutic Massage are well trained in pregnancy massage and understand what is and is not safe for the mother and her baby. We also have extensive knowledge of pregnancy and the anatomy of a pregnant woman. Our massages utilize proper positioning for each stage of the pregnancy and take care to avoid areas of the body that are contraindicated for massage.
What to expect?
A typical massage session takes at least 60 minutes and can go on up to 90 minutes. The mother will be supported with pillows as she lies on her side. She will be draped with a sheet and only the body part that is being worked will be exposed. Most massage therapists like to keep their room quiet and at a comfortable temperature for the mother, sometimes playing quiet music in the background. It is best to avoid eating a large meal before the massage or drinking large amounts of liquids.
Benefits that a mother may experience:
- Reduces swelling in hands, feet and ankles
- Lessens sciatic pain
- Eases muscular discomforts in areas like the low back and neck, calf cramps, it also helps with tension and tightening that can be experienced throughout the body
- Tones loose muscles, relaxes tense muscles and increases flexibility
- Helps with relaxation which in turn can decrease insomnia
- Increases blood and lymph flow which can help increase the elimination of toxins through the circulatory and lymphatic systems
- Increases oxygen in the blood, sometimes on up to 10-15% after a massage
- Strengthens the immune system
- Stimulates the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers, into the brain and nervous system
- Helps relieve anxiety or depression
- Helps increase blood circulation, which in turn delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the mother and baby
- Can be used during and after the birth process, making both experiences easier and more comfortable
(Information taken from http://www.pregnancy.org/article/benefits-pregnancy-massage.)
For more information call Caring Touch Therapeutic Massage at (931) 456-7070.